Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2012

Buffalo News and WIVB See the End of an Era

Well, recently, news has broken (I know, I'm late) that Margaret Sullivan is departing the Buffalo News.  After 32 years, she definitely helped shape many of our views here in WNY, and for better or worse, kept a hobbling industry from toppling over.

Many I know disagree with their recent pay-wall decision, but I do not think that came from her, although it might have.

I think she did a superb job there, and here is the key reason I think so:  Many conservatives I engage with refer to the Buffalo News as a liberal propaganda machine of the "Commie Leftists".  And, then many progressives I know refer to the Buffalo News as a right-wing rag.  Since both sides think it's completely biased against them, I tend to think they are doing a fine job in reporting fair and balanced news (Unlike Fox News, who claims to be fair and balanced, yet are anything but).

Victoria Hong also left WIVB.  I'm surprised by this, as she was the up and coming replacement for the evening anchors, in my opinion.  She moved onto Delaware North Companies, which is a surprising move for where I stand.  She went from the spotlight, into a behind-the-scenes type person.

She was one of the more level-headed anchors on WIVB.  Most of the others are quite irritating (Like George Richert who comes across as a douchebag), or the incessantly irritating Ed Drantch.  However, in all fairness, Drantch might have become irritating during the walk across the falls thing.

But, either way, both of these two will be missed, and I for one, wish them both well on their next ventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment