Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2012

Harbor Stadium?

So, a new idea is being floated for the Harbor, and the Bills.  And, it's an idea I happen to support 100% (Which is a big deal, since I don't follow football at all):  A domed stadium on the outer harbor.

Usually, when I hear something about the Bills, I roll my eyes, and before they get a chance, I try to guess how much more money they want from us.  Apparently, $60 minimum priced tickets, paid syndication of games (Whether or not they can actually be shown to the fans at home), and $400 team jackets  don't pay the bills (Haha, pardon the pun).

But, this is a new idea:  Instead of just renovating a crap stadium, in the middle of podunkville, build a NEW one on the harbor.  While, I don't like the idea of handing any private organization $200 million in tax dollars, when they do no service for the public good; I like the rest of the plan.

Yes, it would need more infrastructure.  I'm good with that:  The construction of the infrastructure will put MANY people to work.  If we ignore the possibility of a Super Bowl game, this alone would be a much-needed injection into our economy.

Now, if we take a Super Bowl into account, wow!  The economic impact will pay for tenfold over the investment by the taxpayer.

So, for the first time, I actually agree with a plan to keep the Bills here.  Let's hope our politicians don't screw this one up.  They're trying though.  Already, "We don't want it at the harbor, it doesn't need water access, and wont be enhanced by it..."  Hopefully, we'll just get those people to shut up, and just make it as easy as possible for the Bills, the NFL, and the developer to do this.  All they need from us is the land, and they can make it happen.  Let's just not stand in their way on this, for ego's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment