Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

A Late Post, But With Good Reason!

I know, this post is much later in the day than I generally aim for, but I've got a great reason excuse this time.

I had a almost completed the original post (Which was about another local candidate), when I read an interesting article on our current situation with prison (The article was in N+).  And, I felt it deserved to be written about today, and not put off.

It brought up several excellent points about the demographics of the prison population (There are more incarcerated black males than we had during our period of slavery).  The fact that the only nation that has incarcerated more people than we currently do is the Soviet Union under Stalin.

The article also discussed the fact that while crime rates are going down, our prison population is ever-increasing.

The summary fact was this:  Our current prison system is broken, and designed to promote recidivism.

I'm aiming to write another article today (Or tomorrow) with some possible solutions to our prison system, which is in dire need of taking apart, and rebuilding.  Meanwhile, I'd love to hear your input.  As progressives, we need to look at HOW to fix our current problems, not just bitch about them.

I'm looking forward to reading any comments on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment