Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Department Store Bicycles: Are they really that bad?

Something really grinds my gears:  The automatic admonishment of all bicycles bought from department stores, like Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, etc.

Yes, most bikes from department stores are crap.  And, yes, they, almost without fail, will have to be taken to an actual bike shop to get a final tuneup prior to being road worthy.

But, I said MOST are crap.  Not all are.  For about 95% of all cyclist out there, a department store will hold a bike that is a fine deal, pretty good quality, and fit their needs fully.  I learned this lesson.  And, thankfully, not the hard way.

I'm a decent bike mechanic.  I can do most adjustments and repairs on my own (Still getting handy with derailleur adjustments).  I first bought a bike at a police auction (Don't recommend the BPD police auction...  You have NO idea what you are buying until it's in your hand).  I spent WAAAY too much on it.  About $20 more than I should have.

So, I started doing what every person has suggested:  Start prowling CL and check out the Local Bike Shops (LBS).  Basically, everything on CL was over priced for used bikes.  The LBS?  Couldn't find even a used bike fitting my needs for less than $300.  The fact that no area stores have their inventory online, and only are open for limited hours (6PM on a weekday...  Seriously?  4PM on a Saturday?); I started doing the next best thing:

I started browsing department stores online.  I ruled out Wal-Mart on philosophical and practical grounds.  I know why Wal-Mart is cheaper than everyone else.  It's how they treat their suppliers, which forces the suppliers to use sub-standard parts on everything.  There's a "QA Check" and a "Walmart QA check" for most suppliers these days.

I landed on a couple at Target.  I really didn't want anything with suspension, so it ruled out most.  I was looking for a nice 700c road bike.  Landed it:  $269, a Schwinn Tourist.  Light, agile, and 700c wheels.

Yes, it had issues.  I had to re-adjust the derailleurs.  But, that was about it there.  I got a new bike, with entry level components found on other bikes that cost $499 or so.

Will this bicycle last me for, say, 4 years?  Most likely.  My "post-honeymoon" review will be coming shortly. But, the bottom line is this:  You don't have to go to an LBS in order to find a decent bike.  Yes, going to your local LBS is preferential, but don't sweat taking one sale away from them on a bike.  They only get like 5-10% margin on it.  Go to your LBS for services and parts, they get a much better margin, and you keep the mechanics there employed.

No comments:

Post a Comment